TIPS FOR HOME:
Practice teaching your children internal control and motivation to foster personal satisfaction and self esteem.
It is never too early to learn to be internally motivated.
Be a model for your children.
- Tell them how you feel and how your feelings are related to what you are doing.
- When you see your children meeting their needs:
- Ask them: how they feel
- How do they know they are “happy”, “proud”...?
- What are you doing to make you feel that way?
- When modeling a positive behavior, give a name to the actions and feelings with enthusiasm:
- “What a great satisfaction we feel when we share, I am so happy you can get to feel “proud”, thanks for sharing”.
- “finishing our work makes us feel so proud and satisfied, I am glad you can feel that now, well done”